Church of Santiago de Padrón
At the bottom of the Paseo del Espolón, is the church of Santiago de Padrón, neoclassical in style, although within its thick walls you can see samples of other temples built previously.
When crossing the door that communicates with the Paseo del Espolón, we can see an inscription on a stone that recalls the temple built by Archbishop Xelmírez in 1133. Next to the main altar, there is a pulpit of a single stone, with the image of Santiago Pilgrim, from the 15th century, belonging to the Gothic temple that Lope de Mendoza had built.
Inside the main altar there is a Roman altar dedicated to the god Neptune: El Pedrón, a place to which, according to the Jacobean tradition, the boat that carried the remains of the Apostle Santiago, along with his disciples Theodore and Athanasius, was moored from Palestine. to the Irish lands.
Pedron In the different altars and walls of the church we can see different elements of the Jacobean tradition and of Santiago Apóstol:
We contemplate in one of the altars the Santiago Matamoros, on his white horse.
Santiago Peregrino, a 17th century carving attributed to José Gambino known as the Parrandero, which on July 25 is carried in a procession on the shoulders of the young people of the town to the Santiaguiño hermitage.
Two wooden high-reliefs belonging to the altarpiece of the Santiaguiño hermitage, one representing the Traslatio and the other the Apostle Santiago baptizing Queen Lupa.
Two 18th century oil paintings belonging to the Cabildo de Iria, restored in 2003, in which the Traslatio and the apparition of the Virgin to the Apostle Santiago are represented, as it appears on the coat of arms of the Cabildo de Iria.
It is located 20m from Albergue Rossol (10 seconds walk)
Convent of Carmen
The neoclassical building was built at the beginning of the 18th century on living rock. Its first inhabitants were the Discalced Carmelites and, after the Confiscation, it passed into the hands of the Dominicans, still present today.
Due to its privileged location, its atrium, open to the public, offers us a perfect viewpoint of Padrón. A few meters away is also the Fuente del Carmen, built in the sixteenth century.
It is located 190m from the Rossol Hostel (2 minutes walk)
In the surroundings of padrón you can see numerous pazos of nobles and old families and a few kilometers, on a hill between large rocks is the hermitage of “Santiaguiño do Monte”, to which, according to legend, he retired to pray the apostle after his preaching.
Every year, on the 25th of July, the Santiago Apóstol festival, a popular pilgrimage is held there, enlivened afterwards with doll contests and where some traditional dishes of Galician cuisine are consumed.
It is located 600m from Albergue Rossol (8 minutes walk)
Museum Rosalía de Castro
The Rosalía de Castro Foundation is a Galician cultural institution, established on November 15, 1947 by Xosé Mosquera Pérez at the Compostela Hotel in Santiago de Compostela under the name of the Rosalía de Castro Foundation, which became the Rosalía de Castro Foundation in a ceremony held in the Colegio de Fonseca in the same city on December 29, 1995. Its statutes were legalized by the Xunta de Galicia in December 1997 and renewed in 2008 (in force since 2009).
Among its purposes are: to promote knowledge and preservation of the memory of Rosalía, Manuel Murguía and their children; the promotion of the study, the edition and the dissemination of the life and work of Rosalía, of the Galicia of her time and of her later influence; preserve the set of the Rosalía House-Museum, conserve and increase Rosalía’s heritage (furniture, belongings, personal memories of Rosalía, etc.) arranging it in the best way so that it can be contemplated and studied, taking care of the Rosalía Mausoleum located in the Pantheon of Illustrious Galicians (Church of Sano Domingos de Bonaval in Santiago) and more of the field that previously housed his body in the Adina cemetery in Iria Flavia (Padrón, A Coruña); celebrate events, at least, on both Rosalia dates (February 24 and July 15) in addition to the celebration of the Votive Mass on July 25 – an act that had been celebrated since 1932 and since 1969 in the Galician language, becoming the only public act in which the Galician, the Galician claims and the presence of dissident politicians during the Franco dictatorship were consented – and of the Floral Offering in the Pantheon of Illustrious Galicians at the tomb of the poet and to promote and spread the Galician language and culture .
It is located 850m from the Albergue Rossol (11 minutes walk)
Its origin dates back to the first decades of the 19th century, built on an estate on the Roman road belonging to the Counts of San Juan. It was built following the characteristic model of the time, mixing Italian, English and French styles.
On January 11, 1946, it was declared a National Artistic Monument, thanks above all to the work of Manuel Chamoso Lamas, then Commissioner of the National Heritage Defense Service. Due to this, shortly after the different species present in the botanical garden were inventoried and scientifically classified for the first time in its history by the Forest Inspector General Rafael Areses Vidal. They also carried out the first signs of the most important trees and species.
The botanical garden presents a large number of plant species, reaching three hundred. Brought from various parts of the world, the most outstanding are the “Coral tree” (Erythrina crista-galli, a native species of Argentina and Uruguay), the Senegal palm, a red sequoia (Sequoia sempervirens, remarkable for its height) , a cupresiform oak (quercus robur fastigiata), a dragon tree (Dracaena draco, a tree donated by the Canary Islands Community) or the aceres (Acer pseudoplatanus. L. that make up the central promenade of the garden).
In addition, there is a fig tree that is the daughter of another from the Matanza house, where Rosalía de Castro lived.
It is located 200m from Albergue Rossol (2 minutes walk)